Friday, May 25, 2007

Deemed Exports in Universities, Government Laboratories and Industry

My supervisor has rejected my recommendation for an opening in the group. My friend has an impeccable academic record and excellent research credentials which are very much related to this technology sector.

He was frank with me.

"starting this year, the new policy is not to hire candidates from 'controlled countries...'

I assume that he's from China and on student visa? The key is China, there are many good candidates from china...But there are the US government regulations.
"


Imagine getting your resume trashed because of your nationality. Situations like this make you thankful (ironically, it applies only outside of the little red dot) for your pink IC, given the USSFTA and our close strategic relationship with Uncle Sam.

On my first day of work, I had to sign an "Export Compliance Agreement for Foreign Hires" to certify that an export license is not required based on my country of citizenship. That also explains why there aren't that many mainlanders here (and they are mostly green card holders).

1 comment:

sugarami said...

Well, it definitely doesn't happen here. Even if I cannot understand them, they're here to stay.